Press Kit for Retrobooster
Members of the press, please use any information from this page when writing about Retrobooster.
Contact: Terry Welsh
Retrobooster is a 2.5D survival shooter and cave-flyer, focusing on skill-based flying and enemy blasting. Pilot your nimble thrust ship through bizarre worlds littered with vicious enemies and diabolical traps. Each new level takes you farther from home and, ultimately, into the deadliest reaches of the galaxy. Retrobooster also has speed-flying challenges, impressive weaponry, puzzles, juicy monsters, a warped sense of humor, and a healthy dose of bullet hell action. Survive to the end if you can, and use your awesome new flying skills to replay for high scores.
With a custom particle engine squirting out the visual effects, Retrobooster will bathe your eyeballs in its explosions. But this game also remembers that a good cave-flyer is all about honing your flying skills and how the controls feel. Piloting a ship that is always seconds from a fatal collision, Retrobooster sustains a quiet tension. Survival is between you, the alien horde, and the game's realistic physics.
A few powerful software tools were used to build Retrobooster: OpenSceneGraph
for graphics, SDL
for windowing and input devices, and SDL_mixer
for sound effects and music.
Platforms: Windows, Linux
Release: TBD 2013
Status: About 3/4 through development
- Classic thrust ship controls, plus reverse thrust
- High quality physics, with believable collisions and death by crushing
- 30+ levels
- Unlocked levels can be replayed at will
- 4 difficulty levels
- Single player or up to 4 players split-screen
- Cooperative and deathmatch multiplayer modes
- Acquire weapons and power-ups by destroying enemies
- Electronic soundtrack by Subatomicglue frontman, Kevin Meinert
- Customizable controls
- Mouse and keyboard
- Game controller (Some popular controllers are recognized automatically.)